A hydrant flow test will take place on Friday, October 2nd at the old National Guard Armory between 9:00 a.m-9:30 a.m. Customers in this area may experience cloudy water as a result.
Great news! You may now pay your utility bill online. Click here to do so.
If you missed Monday’s Comprehensive Plan Workshop, you can add your input by taking the one-page survey at the following link, which works best if you copy and paste it into your browser:
Here is some more information about the workshop/survey, and where we are in the process.
City of Elkins Open House Workshop
The City of Elkins has been developing a comprehensive plan for the past year that will direct future development and detail high priority projects. The comprehensive plan recommendations and future growth plan will be available for the public to view at an Open House Workshop on Monday, August 18, 2014 at the Old Brick Playhouse. Residents are encouraged to attend the meeting and can drop in anytime from 5 PM to 7 PM for a few minutes or stay the full two hours.
The priority projects recommended in the plan have been developed to address a variety of issues and concerns raised by residents and municipal officials throughout the planning process. The plan will allow for community leaders to focus on the implementation of these priority projects that will enhance the quality of life for Elkins residents. Meeting attendees will be asked to help prioritize projects that they feel are the most important in the future success of Elkins.
The Elkins Common Council meeting scheduled for Thursday, July 3 has been cancelled. The next regular meeting will be July 17 at 7 p.m.
Please note that the location for the Elkins firefighter written examination has been changed. The test will still be given on August 9, at 9 a.m., but the new location is:
Elkins Fire Department, 2nd Floor 216 4th StreetElkins, WV 26241
The downloadable application packet has been updated to reflect the change. (http://cityofelkinswv.com/images/PDFs/ElkinsFDapp2014.pdf)
Contractors are working on a water-line relocation at the Cravens Run bridge on North Randolph Avenue. Water will be off on North Randolph from Heavner Avenue to Hanley Street starting this afternoon and lasting several hours.
The City of Elkins, W. Va. is testing for new firefighters:
- Practice fitness test (optional): Jul 19, 12 p.m.
- Fitness test: Jul 26, 9 a.m.
- Written test: Aug 9, 9 a.m.
Entry-level pay: $10 per hour + benefits.
Must be 18-35 years old on date of application.
Drug/medical/psychological/background checks will be performed.
Apply in advance to: City Clerk, 401 Davis Avenue, Elkins, WV. Phone: 304-636-1414, x1211.
App. fee: $15.
Download application and information packet here:http://cityofelkinswv.com/images/PDFs/ElkinsFDapp2014.pdf
Applications will not be accepted after 3 p.m. on Friday, July 11.
Please note that the Elkins Fire Department does not currently have any openings. The purpose of this testing process is to generate the civil service list from which appointments will be made in the event that any openings arise or new positions are created. Lists remain valid for three years.
- Download packet (http://cityofelkinswv.com/images/PDFs/ElkinsFDapp2014.pdf).
- Review all information.
- Complete application.
- Bring completed application to Elkins City Hall (401 Davis Avenue) by above date/time.
- Report to first-floor counter to pay $15 firefighter application fee. Get a receipt.
- Submit receipt and completed application to the Mayor’s Executive Secretary on the second floor.
The packet contains the following materials. Please double check to make sure you have all of these documents, as they will help you prepare for and understand the testing process.
- Firefighter Civil Service Application
- 2014 Civil Service Testing Schedule (with test locations)
- Advisory to Firefighter Applicants (with attachment: Compensation and Fringe Benefits)
- Physical Agility Test Information
- Civil Service Exam Preparation
The City’s Water Distribution department will be working on a water main near Heavner Avenue today. The work will require water to be shut off on Pleasant Avenue, North Randolph, and all of Highland Park. The shutoff will begin later this morning and should last 3 to 4 hours. We will advise if the shutoff becomes more extended than expected.
Message from Elkins Police Chief Steve Richards:
With the arrival of summer and the resulting changes in routines (travel, open windows, outdoor exercise), the Elkins Police Department wants to remind everyone of some basic precautions to improve the security of your home:
- Don’t leave garage doors open when unattended
- Lock doors and at least ground-floor windows when away from home or at night
- Lock cars and leave no valuables in sight
- Secure electronics, bikes, and other valuable when you go inside
- When traveling, stop mail, papers; plan to make your house look occupied (lights on timers, ask a neighbor to stop and change lights)
- Get to know your neighbors and look out for each other
- Consider starting a neighborhood email, Facebook or other group to communicate more easily with your neighbors
Please note that the City of Elkins Sanitation Department will be closed on Monday, May 26 for Memorial Day. Trash normally collected Mondays will be collected on Tuesday, May 27.