City inspection required before power can be connected

Starting Friday, February 1, 2013, Mon Power will no longer connect new or upgraded electrical service without proof of that an inspection has been performed by the City of Elkins building inspector.

As announced previously, building permits are required before installing/replacing electrical, gas, sewer, or water service.

To contact the building inspector for building permits or to arrange inspections:

Phil Isner

City Hall 3rd floor – Room 314
401 Davis Avenue
Phone: 304-636-1414 Ext. 1431
Fax: 304-635-7132

Building Permits Required for Utility Connections

Please note that state law requires that you obtain building permits before installing/replacing electrical, gas, sewer, or water service. Work must be performed by licensed contractors. Utility companies will no longer connect/reconnect services without proof of inspection by City of Elkins Building Inspector.

For inspections: 636-1414 (x1431) or 614-4100.

Elkins receives grant funding for crosswalks

From the Inter-Mountain:

New faux bricks crosswalks will be installed in downtown Elkins to help improve pedestrian safety and hopefully raise motorists awareness. Funding for the project will come from a $115,920 transportation enhancement grant announced this week.

“I am real excited about it,” Elkins Mayor Duke Talbott said. “It is really going to make downtown beautiful.”

Read the rest of the story at the Inter-Mountain website. For a diagram of the intersections where crosswalks will be installed, click here.