Leaf pick up will begin Monday, October 22, 2018. There is no set daily schedule for a particular ward or area; we go to where the heaviest concentrations of leaves are in the interests of efficiency. If you are concerned about letting the leaves sit on your grass for too long, please feel free to bag them up. As long as our crews can tell the bags contain leaves, they will tear them open and collect the contents.
Please remember that this process is weather dependent. For example, we can’t effectively pick up leaves in a pouring rain.
Also, keep in mind that we only have one leaf truck to cover the City. Please be patient and we will get to each property as soon as we can.
Leaf pickup continues through the fall until either we have gotten all the leaves, or snow has started falling.
What to do with your leaves
To make use of this service, rake leaves into piles in the grassy area between the curb and the sidewalk.
Please do not place leaves in the street, as this causes problems with storm drains as well as parking and traffic concerns. City employees will not go into yards to collect leaves.
Residents may drop off yard waste between 6:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday; 6:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Wednesdays and 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Saturdays, at the City of Elkins Wastewater Collection Plant located at 31 Jones Drive (adjacent to Robert E. Lee Avenue/Flood Control Road).
- Please clean up after your pets. While City law only requires dogs (not cats) be leashed while out in public, it does mandate that with any pet you clean up any waste deposited on public or private property. Our City parks provide great outdoor play spaces for you and your pets and they provide free waste disposal bag stations and collection containers.
- Everyone loves the smell of freshly cut grass, but not everyone, especially those on a bicycle or motorcycle enjoys riding through a pile of it in the street. Not only does this create a dangerous situation for riders, when the rains come (as they always do in Elkins) this material is washed into the storm water system and can cause significant drainage problems. Please dispose of your grass and other yard waste at the City’s drop-off location.
- These warm temperatures also offer an opportunity for end of season cleaning, but remember that our sanitation department does not pick-up bulk or special items as part of your normal trash collection. If you have large or unusual items, check here to see if the City can accept it and if not, other ways it may be disposed of.
Walnut St. will be closed from Grant St. to Findley St. on 8/29/18. Please choose an alternate route to avoid delays.
The City of Elkins Policeman’s Civil Service Commission has announced testing dates for entry-level officers. For general information on how the civil service process works and how the City utilizes this process to fill vacant positions, click here. If you are interested in participating in the upcoming testing, you may download the application packet here, or contact Executive Secretary Lucinda Barrick at Elkins City Hall, 401 Davis Ave. or 304.636.1414 ext. 1110 during regular business hours and request an application. The testing will be conducted at the following times:
- September 8, 2018 @ 9:00 a.m. – Physical Fitness Test
- September 8, 2018 @ 12:00 p.m. – Written Examination
- September 25, 2018 @ 5:30 p.m. – Interviews scheduled for candidates who successfully completed the PT and written tests
Candidates must be between the ages of 21 and 45 as of September 8, 2018, and must have submitted a completed application to the Elkins City Clerk prior to 4:00 p.m. on September 7, 2018.
Since late 2017 City of Elkins’ elected and appointed officials have been working on a strategic plan for the City and it is nearly ready for adoption. With the help of a highly experienced and qualified facilitator, officials met in February 2018 to kick off the process. Over the following months, the plan was discussed a section at a time in open council meetings until a rough final draft was completed. Our facilitator then returned to help tighten up our draft and fill in any gaps in preparation for adoption. However, before council takes action, they will introduce the draft to the public in an effort to solicit any input citizens may have.
What is a strategic plan? Well, its a document that establishes the direction of an organization by identifying focus areas and setting milestones and deadlines to aim for.
Why would the City be interested in having a strategic plan? It is a great management tool that helps the organization to create long term goals, prioritize projects and focus resources.
What will the City do with the plan once its adopted? Council committees and Administrative Officers will use the plan as a guide in making decisions and recommendations about how to best use City revenues, in directing employee work flow and in measuring performance.
We encourage you to read through the proposed City of Elkins 2018-2023 Strategic Plan and let us know what you think. Comments may be submitted by the following means:
- written comments can be mailed or hand delivered to Elkins City Hall, 401 Davis Ave, Elkins WV 26241, or by email to the City Clerk at firstname.lastname@example.org
- verbal comments may be made during the public comment period of the upcoming Elkins Common Council meetings on August 2nd, August 16th and September 6th.
- The City will host an open house 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. on Wednesday, August 22 at the Randolph County Community Arts Center located at 2 Park St., Elkins.
Beginning May 14, 2018, the Elkins Police Department will be monitoring and issuing citations for vehicles parked facing against the flow of traffic per W.Va. Code § 17C-13-4(a). This activity occurs primarily in residential neighborhoods and presents a significant safety concern for both vehicular and pedestrian traffic. This is not a new law, but the City recognizes that it has not been routinely enforced and is therefore offering this notification so that residents may have the opportunity to correct their parking habits prior to the issuance of a citation.