Elkins City Code
The most recent edition of the code book of Elkins laws (Elkins City Code) was published in 1991. In the intervening years, Elkins Common Council (i.e., city council) has approved numerous ordinances, or laws, that will be included in the next version of our code book.
We are currently in the process of organizing the new code book. When that project is complete, this page will provide a link to an online version of city code, with full search capabilities and website-style navigation tools.
In the meantime, for your convenience, we are offering a PDF version of the 1991 Elkins City Code, and a Master Ordinance List, which lists the titles of all ordinances passed since 1991. (Please consult “Research Instructions” at the bottom of the page before using these documents.)
Accessing Elkins City Code
You can either view these documents in your browser or download them.
Viewing in your Browser
If you simply click on the above links, you can view the documents in your web browser. Please note that the documents are searchable by using the “find in document” feature at the top of the document viewer. (If this feature is not visible, hold down your “ctrl” button and click the “F” button.)
Alternatively, you can download PDFs of the documents:
- Click on the above links.
- Then, with the document open in your browser window, click “file.”
- On the pull-down menu, select “download.”
If you are researching provisions of Elkins City Code, we recommend the following steps:
- Access the documents in your web browser, or download them, following the above instructions. (The Master Ordinance List will be updated any time council approves a new ordinance, so always check back to make sure you have the latest version.)
- First, in the Elkins City Code document, use the table of contents or a search function (hold down your “ctrl” button and click the “F” button) to locate the relevant section.
- If you do find a relevant section in the Elkins City Code, council may have passed a new law changing or deleting that section since 1991. Using the above search tools, search the Master Ordinance List for any recent laws that might pertain to your question.
- If you do not find a relevant section in the Elkins City Code, council still may have passed an entirely new law since 1991. Using the above search tools, search the Master Ordinance List for any new laws that might pertain to your question.
- If your search of the Master Ordinance List finds the title of an ordinance that you are interested in, contact the Elkins city clerk for verification that that ordinance was duly passed and to obtain the text of it. The clerk’s office can provide an informational response or a formal, certified copy, depending on your needs. (Please note that the Master Ordinance List should only be used to identify the probable existence of a an ordinance. You must verify these with the city clerk to be sure.)
At any point in this process, please feel free to contact the Elkins city clerk for assistance.
(304) 636-1414, ext. 1211