Boards & Commissions

Citizen volunteers who serve on the city’s various boards and commissions play a vital role in city governance by helping to shape city policies and guide city operations. For more information about a particular board or commission (or to find out if there are any openings), please call the city clerk: 304-636-1414, ext. 1211.

City authorities, boards and commissions:

  • Airport Authority (city appoints two members)
  • Board of Appeals – IPMC (meets in response to building code citation appeals)
  • Elkins-Randolph County Public Library Board (city appoints three members)
  • Enforcement Agency (considers violations of health and safety codes)
  • Board of Zoning Appeals (meets in response to requests for exceptions to the city’s zoning code)
  • Historic Landmarks Commission
  • Housing Authority of the City of Elkins (manage Gateway Apartments)
  • Parks and Recreation Commission (operates city parks)
  • Planning Commission (in charge of planning and zoning)
  • Sanitary Board (oversees city’s sewer system)
  • Tree Board (advisory board concerning trees in city)
  • Fireman’s Civil Service Commission
  • Police Civil Service Commission
  • Fire Service Fee Appeals Board
  • Randolph County Board of Health (city appoints two members)


Elkins City Clerk
Jessica R. Sutton
Phone: (304) 636-1414, ext. 1211
401 Davis Avenue, Elkins, WV, 26241