Elkins City Council (referred to in the city’s charter as “Elkins Common Council”) consists of ten members, two from each of the city’s five wards. Members are elected to four-year, staggered terms, such that one member from each ward faces reelection at each of the city’s biannual elections. (Elections are held on the first Tuesday of March in each odd-numbered year).
The mayor is elected on a separate ballot and presides over council meetings, although he or she may only vote in the event of a tie. The mayor does not have the authority to veto council action. In the absence or disability of the mayor, the city clerk performs any necessary mayoral duties.
Council exercises ultimate corporate authority over the Elkins government. Among other things, council has the authority to:
- Determine city laws, rules, and regulations concerning, traffic, law and order, public works, and finance (this is only a partial list);
- Appoint and remove the city’s five administrative officers (city clerk, city treasurer, fire chief, operations manager, and police chief);
- Appoint and remove the city attorney and municipal judge;
- Adopt the budget, levy taxes, collect revenues, and make appropriations;
- Authorize the issuance of bonds by a bond ordinance;
- Establish administrative departments, offices and agencies;
- Appoint members of the city boards, commissions and authorities;
- Inquire into the conduct of any office, department, or agency of the city and make investigations into municipal affairs;
- Provide for an independent audit; and
- Provide for the number, titles, qualifications, powers, duties, and compensation of all officers and employees of the city.
In an effort to efficiently and effectively utilize the resources of the City, council has adopted the City of Elkins 2018-2023 Strategic Plan. Recognizing the plan as a framework and as a fluid document, Council, the Mayor and the City’s Administrative Officers, will reference the plan when making decisions about the application of resources, prioritization of work flow and measurements of success. A copy of the plan, as adopted on September 20, 2018, may be found here.
For information about council meetings, agendas, and meeting minutes, please click here.
For contact and term information about each council member, please click here.
For more information, contact:
Elkins City Clerk
Jessica R. Sutton
Phone: (304) 636-1414, ext. 1211
401 Davis Avenue, Elkins, WV, 26241