Elkins Common Council has five main committees. Members of the public who wish to seek council action on a particular matter should start by bringing this matter to the attention of the appropriate committee chair, who can then plan to discuss it in a committee meeting.
- Finance Committee: Hears and makes recommendations to council concerning requests for budget revisions, compensation adjustments, and any other requests or proposals potentially affecting the city’s financial condition; collaborates with Administrative Officers on each year’s proposed general and enterprise fund budgets before making recommendations concerning same to council; and authorizes expenditures from the “uncommitted funds” category of each fiscal year’s “Contributions to Outside Organizations” worksheet.
- Rules and Ordinances Committee: Devises and recommends new or changes to existing ordinances and rules.
- Municipal Properties Committee: Monitors and reports to council on the condition of and proposed plans for city buildings, real estate, and rights-of-way (i.e., streets, alleys, sidewalks); hears and makes recommendations to council concerning public comments/complaints about city buildings, real estate, infrastructure, and rights-of-way.
- Personnel Committee: Monitors effectiveness of and makes recommendations to council concerning personnel policies; reviews performance of administrative officers before salary negotiations/reappointment; selects recipients of Employee of the Quarter designation or similar awards.
- Public Safety Committee: Addresses the needs of the Police and Fire Departments; makes recommendations to committees and council regarding ways to address public safety concerns
- Chair: Charles H. Friddle, III
- Carman Metheny
- Marilynn Cuonzo
Rules and Ordinances Committee:
- Chair: Linda Vest
- Michael Hinchman
- Robert Chenoweth
Municipal Properties Committee:
- Chair: Marilynn Cuonzo
- Marly Hazen
- Christopher Lowther
- Chair: Carman Metheny
- Judy Guye
- Dave Parker
Public Safety Committee:
- Chair: Dave Parker
- Linda Vest
- Michael Hinchman
In addition to these primary committees, the Mayor may create and assign ad-hoc committees. As of May 2019, the following ad-hoc committees meet on a monthly or semi-monthly basis: Communications (M. Hazen, chair); Economic Growth and Development (R. Chenoweth, ,chair); and Recycling (R. Chenoweth, chair).
Council member contact information is available here.
All committees meet on a regular schedule, as shown in the table below. However, because meeting times may change due to members’ other commitments, please refer to our online calendar, which is updated frequently, or call the City Clerk at 304-636-1414, ext. 1211.
|Finance||1st Monday||10:00AM||City Hall - Room 212|
|Municipal Properties||3rd Wednesday||9:00AM||City Hall - Room 212|
|Personnel||2nd Monday||1:00PM||City Hall - Room 212|
|Public Safety||2nd Monday||10:00AM||City Hall - Room 212|
|Rules & Ordinances||2nd Thursday||12:00PM||City Hall - Room 212|