Special Trash Pickup Service
Materials such as furniture, hot water tanks and large amounts of debris are too large to be collected by city sanitation trucks. To assist you with disposing of such items, the city offers a paid special trash pickup service. Special pick-ups are performed by the Street Department, not the Sanitation Department.
How to Request a Special Trash Pickup
To request a special trash pick-up, contact the operations assistant at the number given below. The Street Department will schedule the pickup once the request has been submitted. Equipment such as dump trucks and backhoes are available to use on-site. Service fees apply and are dependent on the amount and volume of items. The following list shows some of the categories of items that cannot be accepted for pick-up, and offers some other options for disposal:
- Appliances (option: local metal-recycling businesses may accept these)
- TVs, computers, and other electronics (option: click here to learn about recycling in Elkins)
- Tires (option: county and state solid waste authorities accept these periodically; watch local media for notices and/or use the form in the left sidebar of this page to subscribe to the city’s informational email list)
- Free-flowing liquids (option: paint may be allowed to dry and disposed of with normal trash; motor oil is accepted for recycling by some retailers who sell new oil)
- Batteries (option: please check this state listing of resources for disposing of “special waste”)
- Yard waste (option: use the city’s yard-waste recycling program)
To learn about other city recycling programs, click here.
For more information, contact:
Melody Himes, Operations Assistant
Phone: 304-636-1414, Ext. 1437
401 Davis Avenue, Elkins, WV, 26241