Elkins City Hall Reopening Monday, July 13, 2020
Last modified on August 13th, 2020 at 12:04 pm
Elkins, W. Va., July 12, 2020: Elkins City Hall, which closed on Thursday and Friday because an employee tested positive for the COVID-19 virus, will reopen Monday morning at 8 a.m. for normal hours of operation.
The purpose of the closure was to prevent any additional virus transmission while the extent of current spread within city hall staff was evaluated. On Thursday, city employees identified as having been in contact with the first affected employee were swabbed for the COVID-19 virus. As per DHHR and CDC guidelines, these employees then self-isolated while awaiting the results of their tests. During the closure, city hall maintenance staff performed deep cleaning of the first affected employee’s workspace and other nearby areas.
Although not all pending test results have been received yet, enough employees have tested negative for the virus to enable resumption of normal city hall operations. So far, no additional employees have tested positive. Employees who have not yet received test results by Monday morning will continue self-isolating at home until their results are received.
Everyone entering city hall is asked to adhere to the following West Virginia Governor’s Office safety guidelines and requirements.
- Please visit city hall only if there is no other option. Remember that utility bills and municipal court fines can be paid by mail, online, phone, or via the dropbox behind city hall. Questions can be answered by phone or email. See cityofelkinswv.com for more details, including departmental contact information.
- Wait your turn to enter. As ordered by the W. Va. DHHR, only two people may be admitted to the building’s lobby at a time.
- Maintain the 6-foot social distancing requirement.
- Wear a mask and sanitize your hands upon entering. As of July 6, 2020, the governor has ordered that all people wear face coverings inside public buildings. Sanitizer will be available at the counter.
- Make an appointment to meet with non-Treasurer’s Department personnel. If you require a face-to-face meeting with a city hall employee located on the second floor, please contact that employee in advance, via phone or email, to arrange a time. This meeting will occur on the first floor, in the municipal courtroom, pending availability of that space.