Boards & Commissions
Last modified on December 1st, 2022 at 02:34 pm
Many important city policies and projects are designed and managed not by the mayor and council but by the city’s boards and commissions. Citizen volunteers who serve on these bodies play a vital role in city governance. Maybe you’d like to get involved!
For more information about a particular board or commission (or to find out if there are any openings), please call the city clerk: 304-636-1414, ext. 1211. You may also submit an application to be kept on file at the city clerk’s office. Should an opening arise on a board for which you have indicated interest arise within two years of receipt, you will be contacted.
Download an application by clicking here.
City authorities, boards, and commissions
- Board of IPMC Appeals (hears appeals of citations issued under the International Property Maintenance Code)
- Board of Zoning Appeals (hears appeals of zoning decisions)
- Building Commission (acquires, owns, and operates public buildings and facilities)
- Fire Civil Service Commission (manages department’s initial hiring process, hears grievances and appeals of certain personnel decisions)
- Fire & Rescue Service Fee Appeals Board (hears appeals of charges and other decisions related to the city’s fire fees)
- Historic Landmarks Commission (education about, advocacy for, and preservation of Elkins historic properties and landmarks)
- Housing Authority of the City of Elkins (manages Gateway Apartments)
- Parks and Recreation Commission (operates city parks and the Phil Gainer Community Center)
- Planning Commission (in charge of land-use planning and zoning)
- Police Civil Service Commission (manages department’s initial hiring process, hears grievances and appeals of certain personnel decisions)
- Sanitary Board (manages city’s sewer system)
- Tree Board (advisory board concerning trees in city)
- Water Board (manages city’s water system)
External authorities, boards, and commissions with city-appointed members
- Airport Authority (city appoints two members)
- Elkins-Randolph County Public Library Board (city appoints three members)
- Randolph County Board of Health (city appoints two members)
The regular meeting schedules of some of these authorities, boards, and commissions may be viewed online or at city hall. Others meet irregularly or as needed. For help verifying meeting times, please contact the city clerk.
Elkins City Clerk
Jessica R. Sutton
Phone: (304) 636-1414, ext. 1211
401 Davis Avenue, Elkins, WV, 26241