Animals & Pets

Last modified on October 25th, 2019 at 11:50 am

In the City of Elkins, it is illegal for dogs to run at large, and you must collect and dispose of all dog waste, even on your own property. The city imposes no licensing or tags requirement for dogs. However, Randolph County requires that all dogs be registered through the Randolph County Assessor’s Office. That office may be reached at (304) 636-2114.

In the City of Elkins, cats may run at large. You must collect and dispose of all cat waste on your own property. The city does not require that cats be licensed.

There are no provisions in Elkins City Code for keeping chickens inside city limits.

Elkins City Code prohibits keeping pigs inside city limits, even varieties that are commonly kept as pets elsewhere (e.g., pot-bellied pigs, etc.)

It is not illegal to ride horses or operate horse-drawn vehicles inside city limits, provided that no horse waste is permitted to remain in any public right of way. Riders/drivers must ensure that they comply with all applicable state laws, including the marking and/or lighting of horse-drawn vehicles for visibility by motor-vehicle operators.

Animal Control
Although animal control services are provided by Randolph County, not the City of Elkins, contact information for the Randolph County Animal Control Officer and the Randolph County Humane Society is provided for here for your convenience. In an emergency situation call 911.

Randolph County Animal Control Officer
(304) 636-2521

Randolph County Humane Society
P.O. Box 785
195 Weese Street Extension
Elkins, WV 26241

For questions about animal provisions in city code, contact:
Elkins City Clerk
Jessica R. Sutton
Phone: (304) 636-1414, ext. 1211
401 Davis Avenue, Elkins, WV, 26241

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Stay up to date with the latest news and alerts by signing up for our newsletter!

You have Successfully Subscribed!