Emergency Preparedness and Response
Planning is an essential key to overcoming emergency situations. Please use the information and links below to prepare yourself and your family in the case of an emergency.
Receiving Alerts and Information
- Text/email Nixle alerts from City of Elkins (separate registration from above): send email with mobile number or email address to ElkinsNixle@cityofelkinswv.com
- Text/email Nixle alerts from Randolph County Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Elkins City Hall Facebook page
- Elkins City Hall Twitter feed
- Elkins City Hall email alerts (sign up for our Newsletter by entering your email address below)
If you are in need of warmth or other basic needs during an emergency situation, you may report to the Elkins Fire Department at 416 Fourth Street.
Communicating with First Responders
Please stop by city hall to for free “OK/Help” signs (pictured below). It is also possible to make your own. These are intended to be displayed in your window in the event of a widespread disaster in which other forms of communication might not be functional. Please consider these a last resort and make every effort to use other methods to communicate with emergency personnel if at all possible.
The most common potential hazards in Randolph County include tornado, thunderstorms/lightning, flood, winter storms and hazardous material spills. For more information on how to prepare for and respond to these types of emergencies, please utilize the links below: