Building Permits & Inspections
Elkins City Code requires that everyone, whether individual or business, obtain a permit to erect, construct, install, repair, alter, or enlarge any building or structure or any electrical wiring (apparatus or appliance), any gas system (apparatus or appliance), or plumbing system or fixture which is or will become part of the structure. Types of work for which permits are needed include storage buildings, additions, repairs, renovations, and new construction. Items of work include, but are not limited to, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, masonry, concrete, drywall, windows and doors, roofing, and HVACs.
The Elkins building inspector enforces the following codes. These codes are often updated; please note that the city has not necessarily adopted the latest published edition. Please consult the building inspector to verify that you are using the correct edition.
- International Building Code
- International Energy Conservation Code
- International Existing Building Code
- International Fuel Gas Code
- International Mechanical Code
- International Plumbing Code
- National Electric Code
- International Swimming Pool and Spa Code
- International Residential Code
- NFPA Life Safety Code
- ICC/ANSI A Accessible & Usable Buildings
Climate and Geographic Design Criteria
Please click here to access climatic and geographic design criteria applicable to building projects in Elkins.
Building Permit Fees
Please click here to download the latest schedule of building permit fees. Forms and payment may be submitted by mail or in person at City Hall. Acceptable forms of payment include cash, money order, personal check and debit or credit cards.
Detailed Plans Required
When making application for a Building Permit for renovations, additions, or new construction, detailed construction plans must be provided. Please contact the City of Elkins Building Inspector to determine what construction plans and details are needed.
The City of Elkins Building Inspector is required to perform various inspections during the course of construction, which includes:
- Footer inspection prior to pouring of concrete
- Rough-in inspection of wiring, plumbing, etc. prior to occupancy
- Inspection upon completion, but prior to occupancy
Additional inspections will be made as deemed necessary by the building inspector.
Forms and Links
The following links and downloads are provided for your convenience:
- Building permit application (new construction)
- Building permit application (existing structure)
- Commercial demolition permit
- Residential demolition permit
- Excavation permit
- Floodplain permit
- Floodplain sketch form
- Zoning variance application & info sheet
- Sign permits
Code Enforcement Officer/Building Inspector
Phone: (304) 636-1414, Ext. 1431
Fax: (304) 635-7132
401 Davis Avenue, Elkins, WV, 26241