In order to enforce zoning and land-use laws, rules, and regulations, West Virginia law requires municipalities to adopt and, every ten years, update comprehensive plans. Read on to learn more about comprehensive planning in Elkins.
For information about the 2021 zoning update, click here.
Some of the most significant new provisions are:
- Rules about type, size, and placement of signs
- Restrictions against conversion of commercial storefronts into residences
- Requirements for “buffers” between commercial areas and residences, such as landscaping or fence
- Regulations that affect where and how short-term rentals may be operated
- The opportunity to operate no- and low-impact businesses in neighborhoods previously limited to residences
The 2022 zoning code does not impose historic-preservation requirements.